Oat Crusted Beet Cutlets are easy, delicious, healthy and colorful snacks for kids and adults alike. They make the perfect snack for your kid's lunch/snack box. They can also be an interesting and healthy finger food for your babies or an excellent starter for your kid's birthday party.
These can also be converted to main course by using them as burger patties clubbed with a host of vegetables.
Ingredients For Cutlets
- 2 medium size beetroots, peeled and grated
- 2 medium size potatoes
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 small piece of ginger, finely chopped
- A handful of freshly chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder/ jeera powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala powder
- 3/4 teaspoon aamchoor powder
- Salt to taste
Ingredients For Crumb Coating
- 1 tablespoon cornflour/ maida OR 1 beaten egg
- 6 to 8 tablespoons of oats
- 1Boil, peel and mash the potatoes.
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onion, ginger, green chili and grated beetroot into it. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes till onions and beetroot turn soft and water has evaporated. Allow this mixture to cool.
- 2Once the mixture has cooled down, add this to the mashed potatoes along with chopped coriander, spice powders and salt. Combine well and adjust flavors and seasoning if needed.
- 3Divide the dough to small or medium size balls. Give them desired shapes.
For The Crumb Coating
- 1In a small bowl mix maida or corn flour with 2 to 3 tablespoons water and mix well to get rid of all lumps. The batter should not be thick. If using eggs, just beat 1 egg with a pinch of salt and pepper. Place the oats on a flat plate.
- 2Dip each cutlet in cornflour/ maida or egg mix to coat all sides and then coat well with oats.
- 3Chill cutlets covered in refrigerator for 30 minutes to firm them. The prepared cutlets can be deep fried/ shallow fried or baked in the oven.
To Deep Fry:
- 1Heat the required amount of oil in a wok. Once oil is hot, drop cutlets one by one and fry until golden brown.
To Shallow Fry:
- 1Heat a pan or tawa and add 1 tablespoon oil. Place 4 to 5 cutlets and fry them on a slow to medium heat until it becomes light brown, flip sides and fry again until lightly browned. Drizzle a little oil if need be.
To Bake In Oven:
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 150 degree Celsius for 15 minutes. Place the prepared cutlets on a greased baking tray. Drizzle a little oil on each of them. Bake the cutlets for a few minutes or until they turn brown and crisp.
- 1You can make mixed vegetable cutlets following the same recipe.
- 2These cutlets are excellent make-ahead snacks. You can store the prepared cutlets in freezer-friendly storage containers. Separate each layer with parchment paper to avoid moisture which will cause the cutlets to get soggy. Freeze for up to 2 to 3 weeks.
on your cooking?
Add your recipe