Healthy Inside Beautiful Outside
Yummy Beetroot Jam and Banana Pancakes with seasonal fruits and a little bit of pleasure.
Perfect for a healthy and filling breakfast.
- 3 large beets
- 1 cup sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Cardamom Powder – a small pinch
- 250ml milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten ( optional for a pure veg version )
- 20g melted butter
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 115g all-purpose plain flour
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- maple syrup, to serve
- fresh strawberries ( mangoes or other fresh seasonal fruits can be also used ), to serve
- Vanilla Ice-cream, to serve
- Powdered suger, to serve
- 1To make beetroot jam, peel the beetroot and cut into pieces
- 2Place them in a microwave-safe dish and fill with water (about one-third cup)
- 3Microwave on high six to eight minutes or until the beets are tender
- 4Drain water, let the beetroot cool down for 1-2 mins and then blend in mixer till smooth
- 5Add beets, sugar, cardamom and lemon juice to a simmer in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- 6Cook, stirring occasionally, until thick and syrupy, about 35 minutes.
- 7Transfer to heatproof container; refrigerate until cool.
- 8To make pancake, put the milk, egg, butter and vanilla extract in a bowl and whisk together
- 9Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and then stir.
- 10Making sure not to over blend as the batter should be lumpy
- 11Add the mashed bananas
- 12Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat (tip: use a small round pan for perfect shape / size)
- 13Add 3 tablespoons of batter to the pan for each pancake.
- 14Cook for about 3 mins or until pancakes are golden brown on the bottom
- 15Turn over and cook for 1 minute more.
- 16Repeat with the rest of the better to make more pancakes
- 17Serving Method : ( 2 layered pancake )
- 18On plate pour some maple syrup and place 1 pancake ( golden side up )
- 19On the top spread the beetroot jam ( fresh out of the refrigerator )
- 20Place another pancake on top and pour generous maple syrup
- 21Place 1 single Scoop of vanilla or a combination of vanilla & chocolate ice-cream
- 22Sprinkle some powdered sugar to reflect snow
- 23Decorate plate with strawberries or fresh seasonal fruits ( mango / kiwi are also good options).
on your cooking?
Add your recipe