Get your family to eat more veg with this superhealthy pasta sauce recipe which counts as 5 of your 5-a-day. The sauce is freezable too.
- 1 tsp (teaspoon) olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 carrot, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 2 pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes with garlic
- 1 tbsp (tablespoon) castor sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 300g dried pasta shapes, Parmesan, shaved, and rocket, to serve (optional).
- 1Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan and gently cook the onion, celery, carrots and leek until soft, about 20 mins.
- 2Add the peppers, cook for 10 mins more.
- 3Tip in the tomatoes, sugar and vinegar. Simmer for at least 20 mins – the longer the better.
- 4Cook the pasta following pack instructions.
- 5Meanwhile, blitz the sauce with a hand blender until smooth, season and return to the heat to keep warm while the pasta cooks.
- 6Drain the pasta and toss through the sauce. Serve in bowls topped with shaved Parmesan and rocket leaves, if you like.
on your cooking?
Add your recipe