Its the uniform heat of a panini press or the weight you’d keep on your regular griller that would give a Panini sandwich its crispiness. So to say, a sandwich may seem like a super obvious recipe – just arrange the veggies - grill, toast or roast it – and you have your sandwich ready. However, the trick and the art of making a good sandwich rests in how differently you execute these simple steps, and we bet our panini sandwich recipe is truly different. Try it and let us know!
- 4 slices of Panini bread(home-made or store-bought)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick roundels
- 2 small green bell peppers, seeded and quartered lengthwise
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise into slabs 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 onion, sliced thinly
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsps tomato strips
Serving Size 1 serving (173 g)
||Calories from Fat ||108|
|Total Fat ||12g 18%
||Saturated Fat|| 4.5g 22%|
|Polyunsaturated Fat ||0g
||Monounsaturated Fat ||0g|
|Cholesterol ||25mg 8%
||Sodium|| 770mg 32%|
|Carbohydrates ||48g 16%
||Dietary Fiber ||4g 16%|
|Vitamin A|| 2% || Vitamin C ||40% |
|Calcium ||15% || Iron|| 20% |
*Based on a 2000 calorie diet
- 1Keep a grill for heating. Arrange it on medium-high heat.
- 2Cut the loaf of Panini bread lengthwise. Keep the thickness of the slice to about ¼ inch.
- 3Apply a little basil pesto on one side of the bread and keep aside.
- 4meanwhile, place the eggplant roundels, bell peppers, zucchini and onion on the griller and let it grill for about 3 – 5 minutes. The veggies should develop the golden grill lines on them.
- 5Sprinkle some cheese on the other slice of bread and arrange the grilled veggies. Cut the veggies if required to fit the into the sandwich properly.
- 6Top with the pesto-spread slice of bread and transfer the sandwich to the griller.
- 7For a Panini sandwich, you need to apply heavy weight for e.g. – a brick (wrapped in cloth or aluminium foil), on the griller and let the sandwich be for 3 – 5 minutes.
- 8Once the grill lines develop, remove the sandwich, cut them diagonally and serve hot.