Farali Pattice is a treat for people who are fasting. This hails from the Gujarat region and quite popular in Mumbai too. Various sweet-mart and shops sell farali patties. I have been munching on this since my childhood and just love them. In-fact a lot of household’s in India make this at home.
For the stuffing:
For the covering:
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut (nariyal)
- ½ cup roasted peanuts crushed or pounded (singdana)
- ¼th cup roasted cashewnuts (kaju) crushed
- 1 tbsp slightly roasted buchanania lanzan (charoli)
- 1.5 tbsp raisin (kishmish)
- 1-2 green chilies chopped finely (hari mirch)
- 1 t/s amchur powder or 1 tbsp lime juice
- salt as per taste
- oil for shallow frying
- 5 medium sized boiled potatoes peeled and mashed ( I have used 3 large and 2 medium sized potatoes to be precise)
- 3 tbsp arrowroot flour + 2 tbsp more for coating the pattice or use chestnut flour or rice flour
- 1Pressure cook the potatoes upto 3 whistles or microwave or steam or boil them in water until tender and cooked.
- 2Meanwhile roast all the nuts separately for 1-2 mins. Pestle the roasted peanuts with a mortar. Just combine all the ingredients into a mixing bowl stir well and keep aside.
- 3Allow the potatoes to cool down peel their skin. Mash them with the help of fork or hand until smooth. Just take care it's not too hot or you may burn your hand.
- 4Add the arrowroot flour, salt and combine nicely. This process is to ensure the moisture dries up and the covering doesn't crack.
- 5Make 12 balls and keep aside.
- 6Gently flatten the balls with the help of your palm.
- 7Place a spoonful of mixture over it.
- 8Now cover from all sides ensuring there are no cracks and form them into a patty shape or oval shape. Just rub some arrowroot flour if the patty is sticking to your palm.
- 9Just repeat the same with the rest of balls. Spread some arrowroot flour and cover the pattice from all side.
- 10Place oil in a shallow pan. Once oil is hot shallow fry them until golden brown from both sides.
- 11Flip to other side and fry. You could also deep fry. Place them over absorbent napkin.
- 12Serve the farali pattice with sweetened curd, green chutney or sauce.
on your cooking?
Add your recipe