Healthy Indian porridge made with broken wheat.
- 1 cup dalia/broken wheat
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped potatoes
- ½ cup shelled green peas/fresh or frozen
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp (teaspoon) cumin
- 1 tbsp (tablespoon) oil or ghee
- salt as required
- 1Heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker.
- 2Splutter the cumin first in the hot oil.
- 3Add chopped onions and saute till they become transparent.
- 4Now add chopped ginger, green chilies and saute for some seconds.
- 5Add tomato and saute for 1 minute.
- 6Now add all the veggies and saute for 2 minutes.
- 7Keep stirring.
- 8Rinse the dalia and add to the veggies.
- 9Stir for 3-4 minutes.
- 10Add 4 cups water and salt.
- 11Stir and pressure cook for 10-12 whistles till the dalia is cooked well.
- 12If the dalia has not cooked completely, then add some more water and pressure cook for a few more whistles or cook without the lid till they are softened and you get a porridge like consistency.
- 13Garnish vegetable dalia with coriander leaves and serve hot or warm.
on your cooking?
Add your recipe