Chana or Chickpea is one of the oldest legumes or pulses, known to humans. It is high in protein and fibre content. As the name suggests, this chaat is spicy, sweet, tangy and hot. This chaat can also be an excellent starter, and you can serve it both ways - warm and chilled. This chana chaat can be made using Kabuli chana or Kala channa as well. Chana chaat makes an excellent breakfast, a mid-morning snack, an after-school snack, and an evening snack too. You can alter the ingredients to suit your taste.
(Measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2 cups cooked black chickpeas
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 1 small raw mango, peeled and finely chopped(optional)
- 1 or 2 green chilies, finely chopped or minced
- 1 tsp(teaspoon) red chili powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder/bhuna jeera powder
- 1 tsp dry mango powder/amchur powder
- 2 or 3 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp black salt- add more if required
- some chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
|| 1.5 g
|| 7.3 g
| Vitamin A
||12 0.3 %
|| 36.6 %
|| 3.5 %
|| 4.2 %
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 Soak the dry chickpeas overnight or for 6-8 hours.
- 2 Drain the water and in a pressure cooker, add the soaked chickpeas with enough water.
- 3 Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles or till the chickpeas cook well.
- 4 Turn off the flame.
- 5 Once the pressure cooker cools down, drain the cooked chickpeas.
- 6 In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients including the chickpeas and mix well.
- 7 Garnish with some chopped coriander leaves and lemon wedges.
- 8 Serve chana chaat warm.
- 9 You can even refrigerate and serve the chana chaat cold after garnishing.
- Adjust the spice powders, black salt, green chilies and lemon juice as per your taste preferences.
- You can also make the same recipe with cooked white or green chickpeas or steamed sprouted moong beans.
- The chaat gets done in five minutes flat if you can get canned cooked chickpeas.
on your cooking?
Add your recipe