The Lauki/ Bottle Gourd Kofta Curry is a simple and healthy dish which is extremely easy to prepare. The curry is usually made of deep fried lauki dumplings but has a healthy twist too. The koftas are baked and then dunked into the delicious onion-tomato gravy. Soft, succulent and non-fried lauki kofta curry with rotis is a perfect weeknight meal for your family.
For The Koftas
- 2 cups grated lauki/ bottle gourd
- 1/4 cup of gram flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 to 5 green chillis
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt, to taste
For The Gravy
- 2 cups chopped nion
- 4 tablespoons tomato puree
- Cream (optional)
- 2 teaspoons ginger garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon aamchur
- Salt, to taste
- Water, as required
- Freshly chopped coriander leaves
- To Bake The Koftas:
- 1Preheat the oven at 200 degree celsius.
- 2Squeeze out the excess water from the grated bottle gourd and keep it aside. Mix all the ingredients for the kofta and divide into equal portions.
- 3Place the kofta balls on a greased baking sheet. Brush the kofta balls with some oil and bake in a preheated oven until the koftas turn golden brown in colour. Remove the kofta's from the oven once baked and keep them aside.
- To Prepare Lauki/ Bottle Gourd Kofta Curry
- 1Heat oil in a pan and saute the onions till brown. Remove from pan and allow it to cool. Now grind this into fine paste.
- 2Heat the pan once again. Add the onion paste, tomato puree and ginger garlic paste and allow to cook till the aromas of the tomato puree becomes less overpowering.
- 3Add all the dry ingredients except salt and cook again till the masalas are nicely blended.
- 4Add water and let the mixture simmer.
- 5Finally add the cream (if you decide to use it) and salt. Then add the koftas into this curry. Switch off flame and serve hot with rotis or pulav.
on your cooking?
Add your recipe