Masturbation is a sign of healthy sexual development. As your child starts growing, he might start experimenting with touching his private parts. This gives him an utmost pleasure. For a parent, watching one’s child touch his private parts stealthily and getting pleasure out of it can be shocking; yet this also signifies that your child is on the track to becoming an adult.
Now is the time to have a frank talk with your teenager and help him embrace his sexuality in positive, affirming ways. But before that, as a parent, you need to educate yourself and let go of certain beliefs that you might have accumulated over the years.
Masturbation is the stimulation of a person’s sexual organs by a person himself for the purpose of obtaining an orgasm. Teenagers masturbate due to the following reasons:
- To engage in sex when a partner is unavailable or does not want to have sex
- To relax
- To learn about what feels good to them and how they like to be stimulated or pleasured
- To experience pleasure
- To relieve tension (sexual tension or general tension)
- To relieve stress
Effects of Masturbation
While, masturbating can be beneficial and prepares the teenager for healthy sexual relationship in future, excess of it is bad and can prove harmful in the long run. A teenager who is addicted to masturbation might suffer from the following side effects:
Physical Side Effects of Masturbation
- Soft / Weak Erection
- Premature Ejaculation
- Eye floaters or fuzzy vision
- Groin/ Testicular Pain
- Pain or cramp in the pelvic cavity or/and tail bone
- Fatigue or feeling of tiredness all the time
- Lower back pain
- Thinning of hair/ Hair Loss
Emotional Effects of Masturbating
- A teenager who has been raised on high dose of moral values and who lacks sexual education might find himself slowly turning into a social recluse
- A teenager who practices this in excess might find his concentration failing. He might find himself becoming more absent-minded and unable to concentrate on academics.
- A teenager addicted to masturbation might find himself low on morale and motivation. A feeling of listlessness pervades a teenager’s entire being and in the absence of a suitable confidante, the teenager might find himself drifting towards loneliness and early signs of depression.
There are many dogmas surrounding masturbation. For instance, many people dwell on the belief that masturbation reduces a person’s capacity to bear children and causes pimples and hairy palms. Some of these beliefs might have already reached your teenager through dubious sources. Before you set out to have that candid, frank talk with your teenager, it is better to educate yourself and understand the matter in a positive, objective light; only then would you be able to communicate with your teenager and educate him.